History of MCS
Dr. William Walker, Senior Pastor of Mountain Christian Church from 1946-1969, had a vision for children
to undertake academic studies in a Christ-centered environment. Dr. Walker shared his vision with leaders within the church and after much thought, study and planning, a Christian Day School Committee was formed. The committee held its first meeting on May 23, 1974, and Mountain Christian School officially opened its doors to the first classes of Pre-K and Kindergarten students on September 3, 1975.
Since that time, MCS has continued to grow; expanding to what is now a comprehensive program of
academics, incorporating a biblical worldview into all aspects of quality education for grades PreK-8.
MCS is now housed in two buildings on the campus of Mountain Christian Church. The campus includes
a college-regulation gymnasium, athletic fields, and extensive use of technology, integrating technology into the students’ classrooms and everyday lives. Providing a strong spiritual foundation in conjunction with excellent academics and community outreach are key priorities in all we do.
MCS is fully accredited by both the Association of Christian Schools International and the Middle States
Association of Colleges and Schools. The accreditation process ensures that the mission and programs
of Mountain Christian School are in keeping with the high academic and spiritual standards of these